Thursday 30 December 2010

Reflection of My 2010

Every year, just before New Year's, I like to take a bit of time to reflect on the year we're bidding farewell too. 2010 is definatelly a memorable year - for both good and bad reason. I got to experience a lot of new and facinating things with my time in Whistler for the Olympic and Paralympic games. I, unfortunatelly, met with loss as well this year too... So here goes my story of 2010, I hope you enjoy!  =o)

Near the end of January of this fine year, I was headed from Edmonton to Whistler to work security of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic games. In all it's highs and lows, my Olympic experience was quite a riot. The memories will stay with me forever, that's for sure. This was the first job that took me away from home and introduced me to camp life. Let me tell you, I had a whole new appreciation for what my Dad did for all those years. (He's a boilermaker who knows all too well about camp jobs and how much they SUCK!!!!) I can forgive the rooms the size of jail cells, complete with bunk beds and a roommate for all the other memories I have.

I met and worked with a world of new people while there. I worked with Canadians from coast to coast, Americans, a few Aussies and New Zealanders, and even a few British. I partied with the people I worked with and Athletes from varying European countries. I did my fair share of drinking, for our accommodations being a "dry" camp... I haven't punished my liver that bad in YEARS! I made a complete ass of myself a time or two, but I didn't suffer from a single hangover... Even though, by rights, I should have felt like complete crap the day after St Paddy's Day... I drank like I was Irish that night... (Another high point was when I met Trevor Linden, it was even better that it was quite by accident! That alone made my whole trip!) I felt the heart break of the passing of Nodar Kumaritashvili, who was only a few months older than a couple of my younger cousins. I remember the day the village of Whistler literally stood still in 5 minutes of silence for the Olympian. I was never more proud of the class everyone showed that day. (There wasn't even a baby crying or a dog barking to break the solemness of the moment.)

I was able to get away from Whistler a couple times and ventured to Squamish, Vancouver and Victoria. Day trips to Squamish's Wal-Mart helped break up the monotony of camp life... Vancouver trips allowed me to catch a glimpse into my father's childhood, as this is where I hear most of the stories from. (Boundary Road in particular for all those who are familiar with Vancouver.) Travelling to Vancouver also allowed me to visit my favorite Uncle in the whole wide world! Victoria, I fell down right in love with while I got the chance to go on a few days off. I don't know if it was the ferry (I'M ON A BOAT!) or the grandness of the Pacific Ocean, or the down right magical beauty of the City. I can't explain, or do the City justice, but it captured my heart and imagination. While falling in love with Victoria, I was also able to visit with a couple cousins and an Aunt that I haven't had much contact with over the last 15 or so years.

It's been ingrained in my mind, the day that the first Canadian won a gold medal on Home soil. I was so proud, even though I hate to admit it, I cried a little. February 15 - the day after Valentine's Day, Alexandre Bilodeau captured a little piece of history by keeping that Gold Medal in Men's Moguls on Canadian soil. I managed to catch the end of the third period when the Women's Hockey Team won the Gold in "Our sport". I was in Victoria when the Men's Hockey Team played the Gold Medal Game. I was so anxious and nervous, and to be honest didn't want to jinx them, and only was able to watch the last ten minutes of the third period. Yes - I did check in every so often prior to that last ten, and then overtime.... I sat on the edge of my seat and damn near wet my pants when Sid the Kid Crosby scored that "Golden Goal" cementing Canadians Hockey Gold Medal Sweep. (My post called "It's Back, And Betta Than Eva! - Hockey, Canada's Game tells more of my Olympic adventures as well.) Canada may not have won the most medals through the Whistler/Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, but our Athletes did set the precedent for the most Gold Medals won by a hosting Country of the Olympic Games.

With feet itching to get back home, I left Whistler after two months of work with a head full of memories. When I got back to Edmonton, the old bag of bones waiting for me at the other end was a sight for sore eyes. It took two months away from each other to realize what we'd been missing in each other... And it took less than a week for us to get back into the usual bicker/drive each other out of our respective minds routine. But I love him.

After Whistler, due to the Economy still being in the toilet, I spent four months living on EI/UI... The first couple weeks of being an un-employed BUM was alright. I got back into my Edmonton groove and got some stuff in order... After about a month I was out of my head with boredom. Luckily, I landed a job - albeit a dead end job - but it kept my bill collectors at bay and me out of trouble. During the four months at the dead ender - I reflected back on Whistler and how much I longed to be back in BC. This hit home - no pun intended - when we lost my Nana-face. This Christmas was the first without her. I still miss her and think I will until we meet again. This was one of the reasons I was so Grinchy this Christmas Season.

I've found my way back to BC, just not the destination I had planned. Rather than landing in Victoria, I'm back in my hometown of Vernon. (There is some regret there, post to follow - most likely tomorrow.) I'm back to being an unemployed bum, with an added touch of loser - as I'm living with my parents... Nothing against my parents, just what 29 year old do you know wants to live out in the boonies with their parents? Not many, unless your name is George Costanza! I hope things turn around so I can report happy things in the New Year, rather than spit hateful rants about life.

Can you believe 2010 is slowly creeping out and 2011 is on the horizon. Where did the year go??? It seems like I was waking up yesterday to board a plane to Whistler, but that was almost a year ago!

It's Not Always About Me! I wish you and yours a safe and happy New Year! Best wishes and looking forward to entertaining y'all in 2011!

No comments: