Wednesday 24 November 2010

Ode To Edmonton: Farewell with the Possibility of Return

My moving to Edmonton in May of 2003 was a whirlwind affair. The guy I was seeing at the time mentioned his plan to move here for welding work, and I told him that he wasn't leaving BC without me. I sold my car to the boyfriend's brother, as I didn't think it would've passed the out of province inspection, and it gave me the cash needed to make the transition from BC to Alberta. The next day we packed up his "Twinkie" car and were on our way. I was an inexperienced 21 year old and left my parents a note telling them what I was in the process of doing.

I didn't really know much about Edmonton prior to moving here, I had never been to Edmonton before. I knew that my Dad's Aunt lived here... That this is where the Oilers played, and clearly at one point Gretzky and Messier had played here too... I had heard of the massive West Edmonton Mall, but obviously having never been here, I'd never been to the 6 block mall... As my seven and a half years in Edmonton wind down, I've found myself reflecting on my time here.

We're heading into what would've been my 8th winter here... Let me tell you, the winters here are something I'd like to forget but never will. Edmonton's the first and only place I've experienced such bitter cold in the later part of the year. (That's not to say I haven't experienced cold weather, just not like this.) Last year, Edmontonians were subjected to the second coldest place on the planet honors.... (I think we hit -50 or somewhere around there. Ya, it sucked serious toes man!) We were second only to a place in Siberia... (And that place knows how to rock the damn cold!) My first winter here it took some serious adjustment from what I was used to in BC. I grew up in Vernon, so I was used to snow and I'd seen maybe -20 to -25 that I remember... I called my Mum on her birthday at the end of October in 2003. I had to hang up with her so I could go have a hot shower to turn my purple feet back to a humanly colour. I won't sit here and say that I enjoy the winters here in Edmonton, but I'd have to say I've acclimatized.

The rest of the seasons in Edmonton aren't bad like the winters... The only qualm I have is with the City of Edmonton is in the Spring. The whole "joke" about "If you dont' like the weather in Alberta, wait five minutes" can be applied to Edmonton. I've seen snow under the most bizarre of circumstances... But why the hell does it take the City until May, even June, to clean the sand and crud off the streets after the bulk of the snow is gone in late March/early April? Edmonton could be one of the most beautiful Cities on the planet... But instead, with regret I say, Edmonton is a dirty city. Between the streets being dirty, and in dire need of repair, to the litter and homeless on every corner... Edmonton is just dirty. I know that other Cities and Towns have the same sort of problems with litter and homeless, but send out a street sweep already!

Edmontonians have perplexed me for the entire time I've been here... I've run into people here who were the nicest people in the world, and would bend over backwards to help you. Others are just so cold, fake, self serving and rude it makes you want to punch them in the face. Again, I realize there are people like this everywhere and its not solely an Edmonton issue. Just don't mention the shittiness of Eskimos or Oilers, that may get you a tongue lashing at the very least. (Actually, I remember being at a bar in Edmonton, and a guy with a blood shot eye that was almost swollen shut and an otherwise bruised and swollen face walked in for a beer.... The story went that he was down in a Calgary Bar to watch the Oilers Vs Flames game, he wearing an Oilers shirt and the Flames fans beat on him when he went out for a smoke. Maybe that says more about Calgary though?) One pay day, my first year here, I headed to the bank to deposit my cheque after my shift. It was winter, so it was dark earlier, and I walked out of the bank with a wallet full of $20's on my way to pay my rent... Some guy attempted to take my purse but I managed not to lose it. It wound up costing me a coffee for the guy, who just happened to be hungry... Bizarre to say the least!

All Edmonton/Edmontonian cutting down aside, if Edmonton was so bad - I guarantee you - I would not have stayed as long as I have. Edmonton has given me the resume I have. Just before I moved here I had just graduated from College and was raring to get into the working world. I papered the town, meaning Kelowna and Vernon, and got one call back saying "Thanks for your interest in our company, we'll keep you on file." Within a week of moving to Edmonton, I had a few interviews and was hired and working. Edmonton's economy, over the years I've been here, has allowed me to feed my job "A.D.D" in that if I got bored or frustrated at one job, it was easy enough to go out and find another. I have job hopped here, and it's given me a diverse set of skills and experience that I may not have otherwise had.

I've gone back to school here and graduated in April of 2009 from Grant MacEwan College. (Now Grant MacEwan University.) It was quite a trip to go back after 5 years of being out of school mode. The course I took introduced me to a wide variety of characters through my classmates. The time spent at Grant Mac was definitely a benchmark and a time in my life that I'll never forget. If I were anywhere other than Edmonton, I doubt I would have gone back to school... To be honest, I don't even know if the course I took is offered anywhere other than Grant MacEwan.... Makes it that much more memorable... Even if it is partially due to the student loans which are now in the repayment stages.

Being that Edmonton is one of Canada's more major centers, it opens up some events that I may not have otherwise enjoyed partaking in. I don't ever remember there being fireworks in Vernon for New Year's for example. As pathetic as it may be, I've never been to an Oilers game... It's a little ironic that I have been to an Eskimos game though... Edmonton is one of the festival capitals of Canada, and for that I'm grateful. Some festivals don't cost a dime and are a great way to kill an afternoon when broke. Others do cost but I've been told they are well worth the price of admission. My personal fave has always been the Heritage Festival. The Heritage Festival asks for donations to the food bank as admission, but it doesn't seem to be a mandatory admission. There are pavilions for different countries that feature food, clothing, dancing, art and basically anything you can think of to show off a particular country's culture. I can't explain it, I just know that I love it.

For all the crappy people I've met and had to deal with, I've met a few really cool people that I am now fortunate enough to call friends. Some I met through work, others school, and the most interesting are those I met quite by accident in a random event. Either way, these are the people I will miss and carry with me until the end of my days. My first friend in Edmonton was Missy. I had been talking to her for a couple years because she had emailed a boyfriend of mine and I knew she was the ex. So I laced into her telling her to move on and leave my boyfriend alone. It turns out, we now have the same ex - as he's no longer my boyfriend either - and we talk to each other, but not that ex. Anyhow, after a couple years of chatting, it took me moving to Edmonton to actually meet. She bailed my ass out a time or four. She moved back to BC years ago, unfortunately. Van, Ian and my other CFF friends managed to show me what it meant to work but how to have fun while doing it. The local hang out for some of the CFF crew was a bar called the H2O. I've only had "happy birthday" sung to me once, and it was from my H2O crew. This is also where I met my roommate called Candy Apple. No she's not a hooker, or a stripper, and yes - that's her real name. She and I had a riot living together...

Finally, the on again/off again guy in my life, Klaus. I actually met him while at work for CFF. He was, and still is, a driver for the company and I was an office worker. He always thought I only wrote the bad things about him, but he's also given me some good things to report too. He's bailed my ass out of situations it shouldn't have been in. He drove me to the Okanagan over the Labour Day long weekend last year, without me even having to ask. He's taken me camping numerous times, and actually - he's the first one to ever take me fishing. He's brought me home Christmas trees even though I know damn well he hates Christmas. (His birthday's Christmas Eve, and if that was your birthday - I think you'd probably hate Christmas too.) He's made me laugh (almost as much as he's made me cry) and I've don't ever doubt the fact that he loves me.

Now I've got what's left of today, and part of tomorrow, to endure before I can say I'm done with my current job... Trust me, this one was an easy one to quit... I've got about 3 and a half days left in Edmonton... Though I am guilty of calling this place Deadmonton, Hellberta, - Edmonton will always have a piece of my heart.

It's not always about me; I have a feeling I'll be back one day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.