Thursday 11 November 2010

Lest We Forget: A Walk to Rememberance Day

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields."

Today is a day set aside for us to remember those brave souls who have fallen on our behalf. I dare say that everyone has had War directly, or indirectly, affect their lives.

It wasn't until I was 20 that I was told that my Scottish Great~Great Grandfather fought in World War I. Unfortunately, he was one who forfeited his life for a greater cause. His Granddaughter (My Nana) went on to marry a military man in my Gramps. He was set to be deployed to Cyprus and the Congo, but wound up never having to go. (This was probably for the best for everyone... Nana and Gramps ultimately had 9 kids to care for!)

The tragedy that was World War II cemented my existence. Of my four grandparents, three were born right here in Canada. My Grandma was the unique one, she was born in Switzerland in the early 1930's. By the time my Grandma reached the age of 8, the rumblings of Nazi Germany were becoming more apparent to her Father. (My Great Grandfather.) He had been to Canada before and figured it would be a good place to move his family to.

I asked my Grandma what she could remember about her time in Switzerland. She remembered things being rationed. I guess Grandma didn't have much of a sweet tooth as squirrelled away her sugar rations... Maybe she used the sugar as leverage, as she mentioned that she would use it to bargain with her mother (my Great Grandmother) - for what I don't know... She was 8! She told me about the boat ride over to Canada and what a bizarre experience that was. I guess as my Great Grandparents Gysler were on the dock waiting to board the ship with their 4 children, a Nazi Soldier clicked his heels and gave "the Solute" and Great Grandpa refused to solute back at first. After a little convincing from his brother, Great Grandpa finally did solute back and then was able to embark on the journey to Canada with his family. Grandma says she  remembers people getting sea sick and throwing up over the sides of the ship and the ship was a little bit hard to get used to at first.

Once the family got to Canada, Grandma remembers going to a male relative's house. (I can't remember if Grandma said it was her Uncle or her Dad's Uncle or cousin... But it was a relative.) Grandma mentioned that she saw there were swastika's on the rain barrels. Though Great-Grandpa planned to briefly stay at this relative's, after such a sight - the plan had changed. The family settled into a Canadian life and the school aged kids began school, which was hard at first... Their first language was German, so they had the added difficulty of learning English first. Great Grandma and Grandpa rounded out their brood with two more kids after coming to Canada. (Grand total of 6 kids.) Grandma and her siblings became Canadian Citizens and went on to raise Canadian children and saw the likes of Canadian grandchildren. (We're onto the third generation of Swiss Canadians as some of those grand kids have kids now.) My Great Grandparents Gysler also became Canadian Citizens. After they passed away that's how they stayed as they were buried in Vernon, BC.

I briefly dated a Paramedic who was in the Armed Forces. We didn't get too serious and only dated a matter of a few months. I don't know if it was something I did, or the fact that he was preoccupied with his deployment to Kandahar, Afghanistan - and rightfully so - but we didn't make it to his departure to the Middle East. Though we weren't longer together - I did breathe a sigh of relief when I heard that he had made it back to Canada safely after his tour of duty. I've even seen him once or twice since as well. No hard feelings... Maybe a few of gratitude... I always thought he had kind eyes, which is part of the reason I dated him in the first place.

I have recently heard of the White Poppy Campaign. This campaign encourages people to wear a White Poppy for a culture of Peace. Those associated with the campaign, wear a white poppy to symbolise "the belief that there are better ways to resolve conflicts than killing strangers". The poppies are really beautiful, and so is the idea... But the idea is also offensive and might see the Campaign getting sued by a Legion. Remembrance Day is a day of REMEMBERING those who have already lost their lives in order to protect our rights and freedoms. I'm all for World Peace and all that good stuff, but pick a different day to promote your ideas! I'd rather not see another war in my life time, but I know for a fact that Wars have happened in the past, so don't insult my intelligence.... And far above my intelligence are those who have perished in Wars past. We're supposed to remember to honour those fallen and hopefully never see another person die again.

I took a walk through St Joachim Cemetery today and thought about both the World Wars, Vietnam, Dessert Storm, and now in Afghanistan. I came to the hallowed ground where a monument stood dedicated to such souls. Around this monument, were the rows and rows of Military Graves. Some were of those who were lost in the Great Wars. (World War I &II) Some were those who had served Military Duty and were fortunate to return and live the rest of their years in a country they fought so hard to protect. I feel greatly indebted to these Fallen Fellows.

It's Not Always About Me; Thank you all you Military Personnel who make me proud to be Canadian! Today I wear my Poppy in Your Honour.

No comments: