Thursday 25 November 2010

FREEDOM!!!!?? : The Unemployment Apprehension Game

Well, here it is, my last day at work! I'm ecstatic! (And a little uneasy.) This job has, at least, afforded me the ability to pay most of my bills..... That's about it. This job has allowed me to do a few things that most jobs otherwise wouldn't. I get a little exercise a day, I deliver mail in a government building. I've gotten an inside look at how some government agencies function. (No - I'm not talking about the President/CEO of the Alberta Health Services eating a cookie either! Disgusting little man that he is.) I've been able to catch up on my book reading. (There are quite a few amusing ones out there.) As well as post to this blog and try to come up with something worth while reading... It's a dead end job, and I'm glad I've only spent just under four months at it. That being said, I still feel a tinge of guilt...

While I am happy that this chapter of my life is over, I still don't like the idea of being unemployed. Dead end job or not, I'd rather be working. Why? There are a few reasons... For example, I'm 29 and capable of working, and I was raised to be productive and not slack off... You know, do like your supposed to - support yourself and not live off of other people.... I feel guilty when I'm not working and being a positive, contributing member of society... I feel like I'm a drain on society when having to access and use the EI/UI system. As much as I enjoy the thought of eatting bon bons on the couch infront of the TV everyday, it gets boring suuuuuuuuuuper quickly... It's great for a week... Maybe two tops... But honestly, I get bored super quickly and I need something to do... You'd think I'd clean the house etc... But I won't... I don't live in a sty by any means... But I don't live in a sterile environment either.

Four months after my start date, I had no idea that I'd be quitting to relocate... If anything, I thought I'd be quitting because the job is boring, the pay sucks, or I was annoyed with the one co-worker enough due to his extreme laziness and far less than truthful behaviour. What ever the reason is for leaving, I still feel like a leech on "the system" and I haven't even left for the day yet, much less applied for the minuscule EI Benefits. I guess that's the point of the "Benefits" being so low, to try to kick start those lazies that don't have much ambition or drive. In the current economy, I hope I don't have to use the UI Services long... Depending on the length of non-work, I'd almost be inclined to apply to sling burgers and fries again... This is after being educated twice at the Post-Secondary Level and 10 years after the last time I had to flip burgers to make stuff happen. I guarantee, Fast Food is not the ideal position in the world... In my mind, it's still a cut above being an unemployed bum.

It's not always about me; but I do feel the need to work until I can't anymore...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have infer from a insufficient of the articles on your website at this very moment, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites entanglement stage file and disposition be checking back soon. Will report register into public notice my put as well and fail me be familiar with what you think. Thanks.