Friday 12 November 2010

Get Out of The Road!

Ever follow behind someone who has left their blinker on for 8 blocks? Ever been stuck behind someone, other than farm equipment, going 40 km/hour on the highway? Ever pull up to a red light to look over at the next car, only to find a little old blue haired granny? The type that you wonder if they can actually see over the steering wheel, without the aid of 6 telephone books? I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful to the elderly... (Elderly in my world is 65 to 70 years old +.) They've made it this far in life and probably have a million more stories than I will at their age...What I'm concerned about is their safety as well as the safety of others.

I'll use my grandparents as examples to show that I mean no harm or offence by this post... My Gramps, I really don't remember ever riding with him... (Ok I can remember once, when I was like 4... I had a fat bowl of Fruit Loops before he drove me home to my parents' place... All I remember was feeling like crap... Then barfing all over his car... To this day, 25 years later, I still can't handle the smell of Fruit Loops, let alone eating them.) But I imagine, being that he was on the road a lot for work, that he was a pretty good driver... I only remember one story of an accident with him behind the wheel... Don't remember if it was his fault or not... My Grandpa was a very cautious driver. I remember him saying, on more than one occasion, "There's right of way, then there's dead." I remember one time Grandma & Grandpa left my Aunt's house in Kelowna after a cousin's birthday party... We left about 15 to 20 minutes behind them and wound up passing them on the way home to Vernon. Like I said, he was a cautious driver. Maybe he ought to have been, he worked for the Department of Highways in BC. Just sayin'. My Nana has a similar story. We were headed to my Aunt's for Christmas, my cousins and I left about the same time as Nana. The cousins and I had to grab cigarettes and a couple odds and ends before heading out to the Aunt's.... On the way, we passed Nana, who was going about 30 KM/Hour... I remember waving like an idiot, but Nan didn't even notice... She had her hands on the wheel at 10 and 2, and was very focused on the road. Mind you we had a butt load of snow, and Nana was always a worried driver. Finally, my Grandma. I remember Grandma used to be a really good driver. She used to have to commute every day for work... But now that she's pushing 80, I won't ride with her if she's driving... She scares me that bad... And if you try to say something to her, she turns nasty... "I've been driving longer than you've been around! I don't need this from you!" So I stopped saying anything... I've also stopped riding with her. I still love her a LOT though... If I didn't, I probably wouldn't be worried.

 I know what I am about to suggest may be considered age-ist.... And maybe the thought is already in place... Maybe the elderly should have to take a road test from a certain age on... Kinda like 16 year olds have to do to get their licence.... Only the elderly would have to test to keep their licences. Remember, driving is a privilege not a right. I've worked in a government building, more specifically the building where Environment and Transportation is housed... I over heard a gentleman, maybe around 70-ish, talking with a driving examiner... This gentleman had written about 4 different tests, twice... So grand total 8 tests later, his licence was pulled... Why? Because he failed all 8 tests... He was disappointed, and maybe rightfully so... After driving of 55+ years, then being told you weren't allowed to any more would be hard to handle... That's a lot of freedom taken away. (As a transit bum, ya, that's a LOT of independence taken away.)

I realize that elderly people on pensions can't afford cabs, or a personal driver, or even those personal driver rental things you can do. (I know there's a company here in Edmonton called "Driving Miss Daisy" that is geared to elderly people... They take them to appointments, grocery shopping and other errands etc.) I know that if the elderly person isn't close to a bus route, that may not be an option either. If the elderly person, say my Grandma for example, loses or surrenders their licence, they should be able to depend on family for a ride etc. My Grandma has always been active and likes to walk, but lugging groceries home... Forget that noise! Grandma has 4 kids and soon to be 5 grand kids in the area... I'm sure one of the 9 can help out... I'm sure if Grandma called my Dad even and said "Ross, I need a ride to the doctors then the drug store... Can ya help me out?" I'm sure my Dad'd say "Ya Rena, deal.... What time's your appointment?"

My point here being, I respect the elderly and I worry about every one's safety... The elderly's eye sight may be deteriorating... You ever seen an older person without glasses? Their reaction time may not be as good as it used to be.... (Sometimes you have to explain a joke to Grandma twice before she gets it... Even though you know damn well you told her that same joke 5 years ago... And she got it the first time around back then.) They may get lost or confused easier.... Alzheimer's and Dementia tend to hit later on in life... (I realize that licences can be revoked... Usually if a letter is sent by a Doctor stating that the specific person shouldn't be driving anymore.) Some days when I did drive, I'd park the car and sometimes forget where... As harsh as it may seem, I think the elderly should have to road test after a certain age. It's for every one's best interest.... Driving is a privilege NOT a right... Could you imagine a little old lady or man dying in a car wreck while they were behind the wheel? Not fair, if you've made it that far in life... I hope they pass peacefully, not in terror...

It's not always about me; I hope I have sense enough to surrender my licence before I become an old lady who is hell on wheels!

No comments: