Monday 17 January 2011

Should Anyone Be Crowned, King of Late Night?

I've found that since recently becoming employed at a Taxi Company, on graveyard shifts, has really cut into my Late Night Television consumption... Not that I really mind though, I've found the scene stale of late.The battle between Jay Leno and David Letterman is a thing of the past. The controversy of Jay Leno taking back his spot from Conan O'Brien has simmered down... Conan's premiered his own show on an entirely different network now - surprise, surprise. We've got the likes of Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel and Craig Ferguson all vying for your viewing time as well. But can anyone really fill Johnny Carson's shoes for the title of King of Late Night? I don't think anyone truly can however....

I can't say I've watched a single episode of Jimmy Kimmel or Jimmy Fallon... I didn't find Jimmy Fallon funny nor amusing while he was on SNL, so I'm not wasting my time... Jimmy Kimmel I find offensive... So, again, not wasting my time...

I've always preferred Jay Leno over David Letterman... Sure, Leno's a little "cleaner" and has taken a bit of flack for being a bit of a dork... But I still find him amusing from time to time. Even so, I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've watched Leno over the past couple years.... I might even have a spare digit or two left on that hand... I find him to be on the stale side of things. Sure he took over for Johnny back in the day... Johnny had staying power though! He didn't need to have a face off with Letterman for ratings... Or to have controversy run up his ratings with taking back his slot from Conan. So, sorry Jay - I don't think your the King....

I've watched Letterman a few times and don't know what the big deal is with him... This guy was involved in a sex scandal, like, Really? Have you seen David Letterman? Gross!!! Was it a case of a publicity stunt for ratings? Or was it just another case of a horny person of fame thinking that he, too, could get away with having multiple affairs? Either way, gross, but I will give the guy credit... He may not be funny, but at least he apologized for his scandalous behavior... Top 10? Lame... And honestly, skid Paul Shaffer's ass! That dude is super ANNOYING! I switch the channel because of the obnoxiousness of Paul Shaffer... Gag me with a spoon already... Sorry, Letterman... I don't think you're the King of Late Night either...

I used to down right love Conan O'Brien... A co~worker, and friend of mine, would walk in to work and say "Hey! How was your night? Did ya catch Conan last night? Ridiculously Hilarious!" Then we'd both do the puppet dance of Conan and then pretend to cut the string... We'd always reference Conan's trademark hair style too... I particularly enjoyed the show where Conan got "skreeched" in by Natasha Henstridge. I thought he got royally shafted by the bump by Leno and the dismal treatment of NBC... But what am I gonna do about it, right? Not much I can do though... Since Conan's gotten his new show on TBS - I've fallen "out of love" with him... I don't know if it's because he's got a side kick again... Or it's because of who he's got as a side kick... (Andy Ritcher = Obnoxious and Annoying as hell in my world..) Either way, the side kick thing ruined it for me... Sorry, Conan... You used to be the King of my late night world... Ruined...

My new favorite is the Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson. I used to watch both Conan and Ferguson, but now - It's all you Craig. At first I didn't really like Craig Ferguson... I couldn't shake his re-occurring role on the Drew Carey show from my brain... I've gotten passed it though... And the fact that Craig seems to be a bit of a Canada/Canadian basher... That's alright though, he can bash Canada all he wants... He obviously just wouldn't be able to handle being a Canadian... Geoff, his side kick robot, is a little annoying some times... But who can compete with "Balls" and "In your pants" coming from an "appliance" in the corner. To be perfectly honest, it's kinda funny to watch Craig feed off his robotic pal... Toss in an appearance from "Secretariat" and the show is complete. King of Late Night or not, Craig Ferguson is my fave... Even though his antics will never rival Johnny Carson...

It's not always about me: So, whomever you prefer, or don't... That's where I stand on matters of Late Night TV. I doubt anyone currently, or even future contenders, will ever take Johnny's Late Night Crown... He was top notch in my book... I'm just sorry I was too young to really get to enjoy his comedic genius!

No comments: