Sunday 19 September 2010

Shut Yo Mouth & Mine Yo Bidness!!!

We've all had run ins with the "Nosey Neighbour" or the "Meddling Mother-In-Law".... I've come to realize there's a fine line between being nosey and being a hero.... And some times that line is blurred, every shade of grey rather than black and white..... And where do we draw that proverbial line? Maybe the following will help define that line... or further blur it.

When it comes to people cheating on their spouse for example... Should you just shut your mouth or should you say something? Who do you say something to? The person who is doing the cheating? Or the person getting cheated on? Maybe the third party in the whole thing? It's a personal call, I mean it could depend on how you work into the equation... Are you the cheater's sister? Are you the cheatee's Best friend? Are you the third party's husband? Who is "obligated" to say anything other than the person doing the cheating, or the third party that they are cheating with? If I found out my best friend's husband was cheating on her, not with me of course... I really don't know what I'd do... It's a double edged sword really. Would I want to be the one she gets pissed at for telling her? Would I wind up being the asshole if I knew and didn't tell her? The little tidbit of information is going to cause a lot of heartache, change, confusion... A complete Pandora's box of emotion. If you're not able to keep it, whatever your "it" is, in your pants.... Maybe you should consider divorcing/breaking up with your significant other... Don't be greedy now... Do the right thing.

Child abuse.... Again, who's call is it to bring things to the authorities? I know that there are certain people bound by law to report suspected child abuse of any kind. (Such as doctors, nurses, teachers, obviously the Police etc.) What about the neighbor though? Or an aunt? Or the kid's best friend's mum? What if that bruise on little Tommy's leg wasn't from him getting abused at all... What if Tommy is, honest to God, just clumsy... Kids'll break bones, split lips, skin knees, bloody noses etc without ever having been abused. If you didn't have at least one scrape, scratch or bump, I think that's another form of abuse. But at the same time, there are kids that are honestly getting abused... How do you know when or how to make the distinction? I mean if the kid is in the ER every week, on first name basis with the nurses, doctors and other staff, I sincerely hope the proper authorities have been notified. Kids don't always get pushed around though. Sometimes it's an alcoholic parent that likes to call their kid "Stupid" "Ugly" or worse... And abuse isn't limited to just verbal lashings or physical beatings either. When is it your business to report it?

I've seen all you rubber neckers and celeb-followers. We've all seen an accident and strained to look at it... Honestly, mind your business. If it's a big enough accident, go home and watch it on the news... Pay attention to what your doing before you cause the next accident. Celeb followers, as I've said before, go ahead... Waste your money on magazines, waste your time watching TMZ and Entertainment Tonight... Until Paris Hilton calls me on the phone... I don't care... and even then, I doubt I'd care much.

I've also seen all you Facebookers.... That's where my line is a little bit more solid.... Not everyone needs to be putting their two cents in... I'm more of the opinion though... You don't want your personal stuff known, don't put it out there... (Sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth to confirm it...) About two months ago, I did get into it with someone, not on my Facebook list, but on Facebook none the less. She was dating a guy I used to babysit. I had him on my Facebook friends list, I've since removed him from there because of this incident. Well, the two were barely out of high school and it showed. They'd break up, he'd get all depressed, he'd change his status to reflect it..... Then she'd make 8 comments about what an idiot he was, he treated her so bad, all he wanted was sex, how could you do this? we were supposed to be together forever blah blah blah... Then a week later, they'd get back together... Then a month later, the cycle would start all over... Break up, status change, 12 comments by her about what a low life douche bag he was, what did I ever see in you blah blah blah. So finally, about the 3rd time they broke up, I tossed a comment on his status before she had a chance. I think I put something along the lines of "Don't be sad, she sounded psycho anyways." Well, you should've read the lengthy Facebook email she sent me... She raged so long and hardcore, she had to write me two emails to tell me to shut my mouth and mind my business... That's my point here people, you don't want random comments from people you don't know... Remember where you're posting it. (If it's not a public issue, maybe send a private message instead of letting the world read. Quite frankly, none of the shit she told me was my business, the kid I used to babysit I hadn't seen in 10 years so honestly... I was being a cow and proving a point... I think she got the point, after that, I watched them cycle out twice more before deleting him off the friends list... The last two times they broke up... Not a single comment on his page from that girl... Maybe she took my advice and sent him hateful private messages instead.)

You people using your cell phone on public transit.... SHUT UP! Not only is this a pet peeve of mine, but it's your business and I do not need to hear about how great your bowel movement was this morning, or about what kinda skeeze bag your boss is, or how bitchy your Mum's been lately - and I definatelly don't need to hear about how you think it's because she needs to get "serviced". Get bent! Get off the bus, we don't need to hear your shit... And P.S., it's hard not to listen when you're yelling across the bus... How is the person you're talking to not deaf?! Grab a clue, I'd say at least half the population of North America has a cell now... It doesn't make you "cool" anymore... Shut up and get off!

To be honest, I believe that if it's not your business... You'll be told as much. I try to keep my comments to myself, with the exception of Facebook. You're on my friends list, you toss something out there, I may comment if I feel so inclined... Otherwise, I don't make any one's business mine unless they're my immediate family, or unless some one's health is at stake. By all means, stand up for those being bullied, or kids or the elderly, who can't necessarily speak up for themselves...

It's not always about me... Until it is always about me, I'll Shut Ma Mouth & Mine Ma Bidness!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how are you?

Looking forward to your next post

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?

Lauren said...

Hi Anonymous #1 - I'm alright, how are you? Posting a new entry soon, I hope I don't disappoint!

Thank you Anonymous #2 - you just made my day! If you want to shoot me an email to either:

laurentaylor1981@live.com OR princesslotay@gmail.com

I can give you my number from there if you like. I am very interested.

Thank you both, and everyone, for reading!

Lauren