Monday 4 October 2010

One Last Kick at the Can

Edmonton enjoyed fantastic weather this past weekend. The temperatures were unseasonably high, the sun was out, birds chirping... Straight up, cheesy '50's movie spoof style. (It reminded me of Pleasantville - you know, after it got it's colour.) You could hear lawnmowers cutting the grass for possibly the last time prior to Winter's sleep. Lawn ornaments were put in the shed for the season and have been replaced by Hallowe'en decorations. Leaves were raked into piles perfect for little kids to jump in. Kids were riding bikes in search of one last summerish adventure. And Motorcyclists going for a rip before the four letter "S" word hits the ground. We hit a high of 24-27 on Saturday (depending on who you talk to) and about 18-20 on Sunday. (It's usually 24-30 in the summer time, imagine our surprise in early October!)

I miss riding on the back of a motorcycle. My old roommate/"wife" bought her first Harley when we were living together and had learned to ride. Through her and the Tim Horton's Biker Gang (just some bikers who happen to congregate on Whyte Ave at a Timmy's), I met a guy and we hit it off. He also had a Harley and would take me riding. It was awesome, and I understood the rush of freedom.  I'm not adverse to riding "bitch" and actually quite enjoy it, but as for me actually driving... I'm too chicken. A female cousin has her own and rides, so do a couple Uncles and my Dad. All the power {no pun intended} to them. What I don't like bike wise, are those loud ass pipes. I understand why riders put them on there - To get noticed by other vehicle operators in order to reduce the chance of being run off the road, hurt or have an accident. I'm partially deaf in both ears - not enough to need hearing aids - and the illegal pipes hurt the crap out of my ears. Edmonton has passed a law making pipes over a certain decibel amount illegal. What cranks my a$$ is the fact that Bikers don't necessarily have the pipes for show etc but for safety instead... What further aggravates me are the cars that are super loud and bother my ears waaaaaaaaaaay more than bikes... Yet there are no laws against the cars, just the bikes... I don't even ride anymore and that makes me pretty angry. I do miss riding though, loud pipes or not.

I hate to admit that a) I can't handle the heat of 25 + weather (even though I was born and raised in the Okanagan in BC) and b) that I spent part of a gorgeous day inside on Saturday.... I was looking for my Hallowe'en decoration box and got side tracked... Two weekends ago was cheesy '80's movies that I adore... This most recently past weekend seemed to be '90's movies. I remember absolutely loving Varsity Blues when it first came out and even bought it on VHS. I watched it Saturday and had myself a laugh. I still totally dig the movie, but now I see that the acting was a lil shotty.... I love Dawson's Creek too, but James Van Der Beek doing a cheesed out version of a Texas Accent made me laugh.

 The weekly Football torture took place on it's usual Sunday. My roommate has a bit of a man crush on Eli Manning, and his team happens to be the New York Giants any how. (Has been since way before Eli even made it out of high school ball.) I didn't watch much of the game but I did take in the festivities prior to the game's opening kick off. There was a Breast Cancer Ceremony type of thing at the beginning, I'm not sure if they were survivors or what the deal was. I dug the fact that the players were wearing pink, and seemingly lots of it. I saw guys with pink gloves, pink chin straps, pink stocking caps, pink sweat bands and so on. I thought the whole thing was cool.

It's not always about me, but I was glad to see a nice weekend.  =0)

No comments: