Sunday 10 October 2010

Glass Castles and Little Hobos

“I'm the cripple on the corner
You've passed me on the street
And I wouldn't be out here beggin'
If I had enough to eat
And don't think I don't notice
That our eyes never meet

I lost my wife and little boy when
Someone cross that yellow line
The day we laid them in the ground
Is the day I lost my mind
And right now I'm down to holdin'
This little cardboard sign...so

Don't laugh at me
Don't call me names
Don't get your pleasure from my pain
In God's eyes we're all the same
Someday we'll all have perfect wings
Don't laugh at me”

~“Don’t Laugh At Me” Performed by Mark Willis

As the days grow shorter, the temperature drops, and the festive season is upon us, I can’t help but think of the Street People. At times it’s hard not to be frustrated while walking down the street and in the course of two minutes be asked four times if you have any spare change or a cigarette. Sometimes it’s hard to remember that everybody is somebody’s son or daughter, is a human being, and we could all use a hand from time to time.

Walking down Whyte Avenue, one of the more identifiable drags in Edmonton, there are a lot of regular characters that you could come across. It seems as though they are the same nameless faces that are constantly asking for something. Most you can see picking through garbage cans collecting empty bottles and cans to scrounge up a little change. Some can be seen with a few large garbage bags in a shopping cart full of cans and bottles.

When asked for change by someone who seems to be better dressed than you are, it’s hard not to pitch a fit and tell them to move along. When they tell you they haven’t eaten for days then turn down your offer to buy them a sandwich – only to see them later walk out of a liquor store with a brown papered bag containing a bottle... How does one not want to flip their lid? A friend of mine has a shirt with a list of things he doesn’t have, won’t do that is perfect for the Ave. (No I don’t have a quarter, No I don’t have a cigarette, No you can’t use my phone, No you can’t come over etc.) A common thought is that panhandlers make more money in a day than the average working Joe, and have it better because they don’t have to pay taxes on it. That may have been true, but with the economy’s down turn and UI that went up, and with everyone with a jaded outlook, I’m not so sure.

Anyone who’s been on the Ave long enough will know as the crazy lady of the Ave. I’ve called her the chicken lady, on more than one occasion I’d seen her walking clucking away and bobbing her head like a chicken. She’s not homeless, just one of the less fortunate. I’ve been caught at a corner with her behind me and heard her rattle off Nursery Rhymes or bits of the Lord of the Rings. She’s looked like a Mummy from time to time with her face covered in Band-Aids. I’ve had friends tell me that she’s tried to spit on them as they passed, or that she’s taken a swipe at them. Rumour has it, if she takes her meds, she’s quite normal. I waited on her while I was working at a small Department store, and she was quite polite.

I’ve heard a lot of sob stories, and I’m sure at least a few were true. “My little sister and I are living on the streets. Our parents are drunks and drug addicts; it’s less stressful to live on the street.” “I just lost my job.” “My UI benefits just ran out and I’m disabled/too old to work.” I want to be able to help out, but I can’t afford to be dishing out change to everyone who asks, if I did – I’d be broke and out on the streets too. There are signs in some businesses warning not to give to panhandlers, but to donate to charities that are geared to such need. I like this idea a lot. I’m sure I don’t need to explain that some panhandlers don’t know about certain services, don’t want such services, may have mental health issues, are battling drug or alcohol dependancy, and so much more.

A while ago, there was a bit of an uproar in Edmonton. There were talks of paying a few local artists to erect a statue in tribute to the homeless that lost their lives. It’s a touching thought, but not one I figured was such a great idea. Why would the government be so willing to spend tax payers’ money on something as frivolous as a statue instead of services that would actually help those in need? I’m sure the homeless would rather have some food in their stomachs, or warm clothing, or a warm shelter to escape the howling wind. I’m not sure where the issue stands but I hope the whole thing has been kyboshed and reconsidered.

I've volunteered once at the Food Bank here in Edmonton, at work I've delivered United Way mail outs for donations. On Facebook I had added the Campbell Canada (as in the soups etc) application. That application has changed, it used to be that for every virtual can of soup that you sent and was received, Campbell's would donate a can of soup to the local food bank. Now if you look up Campbell Canada, you are able to become a fan of the page to track Campbell's activities in the community. (http://www.facebook.com/#!/CampbellCanada) I just saw a commercial for Shaw - a cable/phone/internet provider. Seems as though they have teamed up with Campbell's and Safeway to help support the local food banks. It's always nice to see larger corporations giving back to local communities.

I read a book by Jeannette Walls called The Glass Castle. It was about her life growing up as one of four children. She lived in squalor even though her parents had the ability to work, and funds at their disposal. After the kids moved away, her parents chose to be street people. It was hard for her, and for the reader, to wrap their head around the choice to live in such a way. It was a fascinating book and well worth the read. I would really recommend reading it to be perfectly honest. I doubt you will walk away disappointed.

It’s not always about me; just remember everybody’s got a story that could break your heart.

No comments: