Monday 11 October 2010

How Bout Living In Reality, Not Reality TV?

Seems as though our TV screens are being bombarded by nothing much more than "Reality" based shows. No, I'm not talking about the News or Talk Shows either. I'm talking about stuff like Survivor, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Big Brother, The Real World, The Amazing Race, Survivor Man, Man Vs Wild, Iron Chef, Canada/America's Worst Driver, Canada's Worst Handyman, Under Cover Boss, Apprentice, Celebrity Apprentice, Dr Drew Celebrity Rehab, America's Got Talent, So You Think You Can Dance, America's Next Top Model, American Idol, Ice Road Truckers, Dancing With the Stars, Battle of the Blades, Real House Wives of __________, Biggest Loser, and basically every show on TLC (Sister Wives, 19 Kids and Counting, Little People, Big World, Kate Plus 8). Trust me, this seems like quite the list already.... But there's more... Just take a peak at www.realitytvworld.com/realitytvworld/allshows.shtml and I'm sure even they have forgotten a few.

Don't get me wrong, not all reality shows are evil but there are some that are worse than others. I'll admit, I watched the first two seasons of Survivor. I've watched the occasional episode of Jon & Kate Plus 8, Dr Drew's Celeb Rehab, Ice Road Truckers and Battle of the Blades. But come on, how real is any of it? If it is "real", some of the people on the shows are despicable people and I wonder how any of them have friends? I sure as hell wouldn't want to be associated with some of them!

Jon & Kate Plus 8.... That's now Kate Plus 8.... Did they happen to catch the fact that Jon was apparently doing what he was? And seriously, having 8 young kids.... How many of you honestly think you could handle that with out having a melt down, at least once a week? It's called good editing.... I don't doubt that they have fun and everything else as depicted on the show, but I'd like to see what happens after the cameras stop rolling... Now that would be amusing "Reality" TV.

America/Canada's Worst Drivers.... I've only heard of one lady losing her licence because of this show. One.... Out of how many contestants? I live in Edmonton, I know there are terrible drivers out there.... Some days I wonder if some of these people paid off their driving examiner to get their licences... Again, I don't doubt that these drivers are actually terrible drivers in real life. But the question begging to be asked is how they manage to keep their licences after the show... Or should be forced into some sort of driver's training program. I'll admit, I've had a serious good laugh over this show though.

Ten + years later, Survivor's still going strong. Many people still watch the show. It's more like a reality game show.... After Richard Hatch won the first Survivor, every Survivor Series after had advanced knowledge of forming alliances and how to be scummy without seeming scummy to win. Granted, that may be an aspect of reality, show them how it's done and it'll change the face of the game... So let them play. To be honest, even though I watched the first two seasons of the show, I had to google Richard's last name (the a fore mentioned first season winner.) All I could remember was his first name and the "Big Fat    F_ _ _ _ _ with a million dollars" line.

I honestly hadn't heard of Kim or any other of the Kardashian's until their faces were on the front cover of every rag magazine. I guess they're another family with a reality TV show. And who the hell is Snooki and why would I give a flying crap about her?

Some shows leave me wondering..... If contestants on some of these shows spent half the time and energy they did on these shows, just to go home disappointed and still not famous, on something else... Maybe they'd be further a head than they are. American Idol for example... Yes, they've made some famous people... (One of them went on to be on Dr Drew's Celebrity Rehab, proud moment hey?) But how many no talent people, aside from William Hung, do you remember? Where is Susan Boyle now? (Yes, she had talent, but did she have "the look" to have staying power?) Honestly, some I think are suckers for punishment... Simon Cowell being the first offender on the punisher side... He's direct to the point, blunt, hurt your feelings honest... Ever watched an episode of Hell's Kitchen with Gordon Ramsey? Competing or not, yell and swear at me once you jerk, and I'll walk. I can handle pressure but not a bully.

Some "Reality" shows aren't as bad as others, and some are a good escape and give people something to talk about the next day at work. I guess my point is, in my mind, not all of them are reality.... Biggest Loser and Amazing Race - more along the lines of reality... They affect people's lives and there for affect these people's reality. They can encourage and inspire people, like the viewers who want to lose weight, or wouldn't otherwise have a chance to see some of the places in the world otherwise. Cake Boss and Ice Road Truckers - these people actually do this stuff for a living... Pretty well reality to me.

I could do a commentary on all of these shows separately, but I'd rather not... They aren't in my reality, so I won't bring them into my reality. I guess this could be just another TV fad cycles... Back in the day, there was a variety show explosion in the '70's. (Dean Martin, Sonny & Cher, Red Skeleton etc) There was a sitcom epidemic that followed. I hope this is one TV fad that fades out sooner than later. I guess this just proves that we are a TV Nation, and with advances in TV technology, we don't have to miss a beat of it. We can TVR it, pause live television too, when our reality gets in the way. Go figure.

It's not always about me, but I'm getting off my big butt and going out to make my own reality.... I suggest y'all do the same!

No comments: