Tuesday 21 September 2010

29 and Holding? Gimme a Break!

Well, today's my 29th birthday.... Ya, I can admit it, it's my last year as a 20-something. And no, I won't be "holding" at 29, 30's never scared me.... I remember being young and thinking that 60 seemed kind've "up there"... As I'm pushing half that on the next birthday, even that doesn't seem that bad...

Age, just a number... Get over it people, the day you don't add another year onto your age on your date of birth.... You've got bigger problems. I'll tell you what did throw me for a loop though... A couple months back, I found my first grey hairs.... I was standing in front of the mirror, when I was unemployed, wishing I had money for a couple boxes of hair dye... (I'm naturally a light auburn/browny colour but can pull off a dark auburn colour, and that's what I usually do.) I had some pretty fat roots and wouldn't mind getting rid of that... Then I noticed them.... About 4 grey hair in that fat root patch... And I admit, I was kinda sad about that. Usually I'm not hyper sensitive vain like that, I mean I dye my hair anyways right? I've been dying my hair red since grade twelve, so honestly, shouldn't be a big deal... It's not like I was plummeted into months of depression about it, I didn't freak out and pluck them or cut them out... I just kinda sulked for the rest of the day... (I guess it's pay back time for Dad.... I remember when I was like 10 and Mum was harrassing him about having a few greys... He asked me what colour they were... I told him white... Paybacks a bitch? I hope not! SORRY DAD!!!)

I've had knee problems since I was about 11 or 12, so since I was young... The weather shifting into fall/autumn then winter has always kind've sucked... Now though, I hobble... I look like I could use a cane or walker for the first three quarters of an hour a day..... I don't know if it's the climate here in Edmonton, or if it is because I'm getting older... I don't remember it being this bad in BC. By the time I actually am 60... I'll probably have a power scooter/wheel chair deally... Look out people, Granny with an attitude! (And without grand kids... Maybe I'll be the scary cat lady that tries to run you over? Ya never know.)

I remember growing up there were two "big" days. Your birthday and Christmas. I remember being all excited, it's my birthday tomorrow! Well, after I turned 21 and was legal everywhere on the planet... Birthdays just meant another year on the age... It's just another day in my book. While birthdays don't have the same effect as they used to, it's still nice to be remembered on your birthday.

It's not always about me, but today's my birthday and it sure as hell is about me!

No comments: