Thursday 30 September 2010

Nano Nothing

You never know how much your life revolves around the computer.... Until you don't have one. Kids that can function a computer are getting younger and younger... Depending on your definition of Elderly, more older people are technologically inclined as well. Seems like everywhere you turn, everything from the most basic to the most complex are computerized. This is nothing new though, the technological revolution has been happening for a while now..... And maybe we don't realize it as much, until we're forced too. This is recently my unfortunate case...

As I've come up the computerized ranks, I've also watched kids younger than I come up through the same ranks. It's amazed me that these kids were able to run a computer and other gadgets from a young age... It blew me away - while my generation were busy ruining VCR's with PB & J sandwiches, these days kids are running computers, cell phones, DVD players, PVRs, PSP's, MP3's and stuff I'm sure I haven't even heard of... And these kids are 3 and 4 years old while doing it. I know I sound like an old granny, but I assure you I'm not...

Speaking of Granny's though, I've also seen a rise in older people using today's technology. (At least in my own family I've watched this happen.) At first I didn't jump on the Facebook band wagon, but when I did about 3 years ago, my perception changed. I have two 80 something year old Aunts on my Facebook, and a few in their 70's as well. I also watched my Mum, who was afraid to turn on a computer at the beginning, use a computer to cyber stalk me on Facebook. She uses email, on-line banking, and Skype too. My Dad has a greater knowledge of the Computer mechanics than I do. (My Grandma though, still stuck in the stone ages... She has had a digital camera for years and still doesn't know how to use it. Forget getting her on a computer, much less Facebook.)

What would've happened if Y2K had really happened and the computerized world crashed into the Great Abyss? Kids today, and people in general I think, would freak right out. No more text messaging, Facebook, Internet for research for homework etc. I remember the days when technology such as a computer was a luxury and the Internet was taboo. Where would be all be without these tools today? Everything is computerized... Would we be lost or what?

Well, about a week ago, my computer decided to become infected. I had security programs in place but thanks to Trojans, viruses and worm holes, the computer is completely mental. So, I've had to rely on Facebook updates through my cell phone, as my work computer has Facebook blocked. I've had to depend on my work computer to Blog and whatever else I've needed. I also can go to the Public Library and use a computer there for an hour a day if I feel the need. These options aren't as convenient as being able to log on at 3 in the morning on those insomniac nights. It's a bummer, a real drag...

100 years ago, motorized vehicles were the high technology. People back then some how managed with the necessities, and the lucky with a car. Have we become too dependant on a computer? Is that really a bad thing? Try to go a week without a computer, and you'll have your answer.

It's not always about me, and my computer has shown me this.

1 comment:

MzV33 said...

Technology is always going to improve and become better, fast, reliable...but theres always a price to pay, people choose to disclose their personal information online Banking, personal information, etc regardless of how secure those websites are there are always ways for those hackers to creep on.

Id love to say that we dont depend on technology but we need it for everything, the street lights that tell us when to stop and go, the machines at the hospital that help monitor heart rates

If y2k did happen people not being able to game would be the least of their problems it would affect the world to the point where people would probably panic and chaos would happen

This is doesnt make sense here but if you ever have the chance, watch the movie blindness...its really interesting it starts off in a city (i cant remember which one) an asian guy is driving in his car and is stopped at a red light...and all of a sudden he goes blind...and people are honking at him from behind and screaming at him telling him to move. pedesterian see him and walk up to him and see whats wrong...one of the 'friendly' by passers offer to take him home and he ended up stealing the guys car...while hes home his wife comes back from work and takes him to the eye doctor, the eye doctor tells him theres nothing wrong with his eyes and to sleep on it...the next day the doctor goes blind...and it becomes a chaotic when half the city goes blind...well i aint gonna ruin it for you but i think you should give it a watch!

now onto your other blogs