Monday 27 September 2010

Totally '80's Sunday

For once on a Sunday evening, I had the TV under my control. (Usually I'm tortured by some sort of NFL Football game.) I was pleasantly surprised when I found that one of the channels was playing a "Back to School" themed Movie Marathon. I was even more pleasantly surprised to see the movies were un-cut by commercials and uncensored. (They kept the few swears in them! OMG! {LOL}) I was stoked to find myself watching a couple of "Brat Pack" classics, and who doesn't love '80's hair and fashion??

Even though these movies focused on Teens/Early Adulthood, I still love 'em! St Elmo's Fire - with it's Oh so cheesy anthem - I think everyone can relate to, even today. I mean it doesn't have to be strictly College Graduates letting go and moving on. It demonstrates a close of one chapter and the open of another. Then The Breakfast Club came on. Score! Double dose of cheesy '80's theme songs, Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson and Alley Sheedy. You could identify with at least one of the characters in The Breakfast Club. Maybe that's why it was so popular?

I may be cheesy myself, but I dig some of those retro movies... When was the last time you saw The Goonies? Just hearing it makes you wanna go watch it hey? "Hey You Guys!" What about Ferris Buller's Day Off? Or The Heathers? Even the Pretty in Pink or 16 Candles?

The '80's were a cheesy time that made slap bracelets, crimped hair, slouch socks and neon colours cool. It also made a few celebs cool too, Emilio Estevez, Jennifer Grey, Matthew Broderick, Molly Ringwald, and Judd Nelson just to name a few. (Don't forget Jon Cryer! You know him, he's on Two and a Half Men now.) Some will try to dis '80's movies, and let them. They're still classic in my eyes, even if they are on the silly side.

It's not always about me, but sometimes it is about the '80's movie!

No comments: